I took a memory lane trip to Tetbury, Gloucestershire in 2017, following up on a visit I made a few years before. I was born and raised in this place which is not only beautiful, but also I believe, has a strong sense of community, due its size. It is a small town, not too big, not too small and for sure in no small way inspired me to create the fictitious village Appley Green.
I enjoyed wandering its streets, up and down hills, even under a bridge, seeing again buildings that bring back so many memories: St Mary's Church where my now husband and I were married in 1970; the school, where my father was a teacher and I a pupil and my sister before me, and is now a doctors' surgery but apparently destined for another life and of course the house where I lived for 17 years as a child and teenager. Many shops are completely transformed into businesses that offer antiques and things one might want but not need. There is Highgrove shop, with King Charles' private residence just a couple of miles from Tetbury on the Bath Road.
Yesterday I did something new, however. I took a guided tour of Chavenage House which is of significant historical importance. As I walked around I kept thinking 'Wow, I never knew that! Why have I never done this before?' Chavenage Lane leads to Chavenage House and my old home is just a stone's throw away from that country road. It's often the way that we take for granted things that are on our doorstep.Chavenage House has been used for many TV productions, most recently Poldark and Rivals with Aidan Turner being an actor in both! Other films include Children of the New Forest, Wolf Hall, Poirot and Lark Rise to Candleford to name but a few.
I highly recommend if you have the chance to do it.

No comments:
Post a Comment